Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pangs of nostalgia… with memories of childhood books…

Best of Blyton: Famous Five, Secret Seven

My cousin’s son’s final exams just got over, and before he could heave a sigh of relief, he has been deposited in Brilliant Tutorials for preparing him to face IIT-JEE. When I resisted, These three years of life are crucial for him, he cannot afford to get distracted, declared my cousin firmly. Probably she is right, but I am glad I was not born in the midst of all this mad rush… For me and my brother, summer vacations meant lazy hours of reading when the sun goes up, and sweet hours of daydreaming when it was time for the moon.

As most kids do, we also started with Enid Blyton, the Goddess of children’s books. My brother, always a dreamer, never ended a book with its last page. He would dream about or even put himself in one of the characters’ shoes, and lived a book for more than a month after he has read it. Born out of his fantasy after reading mysteries of Famous Five and Secret Seven, was the group called the Super Six, consisting of a set of friends nominated by my brother, especially those he could easily boss over. I could hardly read the books that my brother, a good five years elder to me, thrust on me. But I knew [as also my brother] that there was always a sister attached to the main leader of the group, whose only duty was to act sweet and be cute; so I was happy that my position was secure.

The fist step was to rename ourselves: Hari became Harry, and Anu became Anne; my brother insisted that our parents call us by our new names, and encouraged boycotting by not responding to our maiden names. As the group became more popular among kids in the locality, thanks to my brother’s marketing skills, we landed up becoming the Terrific Thirteen towards the end of the week. We were a completely organized group; we gathered [of course only after saying the password at door] everyday sharp at 11 am, in the store room in the terrace of our house; [my brother made the extra effort to make it dingy, to bring in the effect, and I always kept away from it except when accompanied by my brother, who in my opinion, was the only person who could face anything/anybody with unflinching grit in life] we were all very business-like carrying a notepad and pencil; and we waited patiently for a mystery to pop up from the corners of one of the most un-happening, peaceful outskirts of Chennai.

And then the much-awaited came. A group member’s brother’s bicycle got stolen. Boy, were we thrilled! My brother, feeling very important as he always did, made all the investigations alone, and in the end, handed over a copy of the specifications in his neat handwriting, which shone more this time given the gravity of the situation, to each of us. Our main suspect was the watchman across the street at the new building construction, simply because we didn’t like him; he smelt strange, and his family wasn’t happy. We followed him “surreptitiously” everywhere, to wherever we could… Two days passed, and on one such following escapade, we saw him go into a mango grove, where apparently the security was his friend. Confident that the friend was also an accomplice in the theft, the strong-in-body-and-heart members of the group, inclusive of my brother, who wanted to be a part of the closing ceremony of the episode of the The Mystery of the stolen cycle, jumped the walls of the grove compound, only to realize after they did that it was not only guarded by a man but also by a couple of watchdogs. The rest is history. Stealing it from Bryan Adams, Those were the best days of my life...

5 comments:

Smarak said...

i have always found childhood writings nostalgic...but this one is really good. even i was an enid blyton fan but soon changed over to nancy drew and hardy boys. true, those classy days are but gone nd these books r no longer as popular with the kids as video games..

PS: regarding ur comment, seriously don't compare me with Chetan Bhagat...that guy sucks. I don't know what people outside iit find so special in his writings but I as an IITian must say that he had made a gross misrepresentation of the situation in 5pS1...you can make a fictitious plot but when u attach it to some univ or campus culture, its more than just the name u r supposed to attach... i found his writings very typical bollywood fashion...nd the book became popular on the IIT tag
Nywayz, no hard feelings if u r a mad chetan B fan

bl@her said...

no hard feelings at all, in fact, you just opened up a whole new discussion for my next post.

Anonymous said...

i liked the sentence, "my brother never ended a book on its last page" quite a nice way of putting it.
this post reminded me of the time my dad handed me a copy of Anne Frank's diary and tried to encourage me to write a diary. I would complain that she lived at the time of a war, nothing that interesting happening in my childhood :)
you write quite often, have to keep up with you :)

bl@her said...

Well Bhavana, probably war isn't exactly the kind of "interesting" thing you would want in your neighbourhood, just so that you can write about it :) Thank god your dad didn't push you too much, its likely you would have re-created the Anne Frank scene or something :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.