Friday, May 19, 2006

East, West by Salman Rushdie

Genre: Short stories
Sum up: Stories set in the title-implied geographic locations
Target readers: Literature students and language critics
Number of pages: 211

East, West is an anthology of short stories, comprising of three sections: East, West and East, West. Who better than Rushdie to talk about the two latitudinal extremities of the globe, and mystifying amalgamation of both? However, I would advise that each story be dealt with separately and not as a book as such, for then the residual taste of uniqueness in language for each story might be lost. This man is a warehouse of imagination; he uses random words in incongruent places, yet they don’t seem to be out of place. More than any of his stories or plots, what amazes me is the way in which English gloriously suffers in his hands, while he whips and whacks his way through the readers.

East consists of three stories. If the author’s name is kept a secret to anyone who reads Good advice is rarer than rubies, he would plainly mistrust you when you disclose the name. This story which has already appeared in the New Yorker is a complete let-down. The free radio has a cynical touch throughout, a tried-and-tested field for the novelist, and he carries it off in precisely his trademark way making it my best in the East. The prophet’s hair is a thriller-ride with a lot of carnage, too wild and ghastly for my liking, but it is sure to titillate blood in most young veins and gain vigorous nods of approval. The "thief of thieves" provides his children a life-long source of high income by crippling them at birth… amusing, but I shuddered.

The three stories in West bear a pure Rushdian-stamp at heart. Yorrick is my personal favorite in the book, though I could not make any sense out of the first page of the story. In the first person narration of Hamlet’s jester Yorrick, the author deliberately wanders away garrulously with the reader trailing behind hoping against hopes that he would find a full stop somewhere to take a breath. At the auction of the ruby slippers, makes a complete mockery of the whole process, royally butchering the egos of the auctioneers who go running from one sale to another, of items ranging from false teeth to used lingerie. I felt Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella of Spain consummate their relationship, which has also been published earlier in New Yorker, is fabulous in neither plot nor prose, and is worth a skip.

All the three stories in East, West are out in print for the first time, and are brilliant. The harmony of the spheres, appropriately named in the first place, narrates the tale of two friends and their flames. It has a very O.Henrical ending, though in a darker fashion. Chekov and Zulu are fancy Star Trek inspired code names for Indian Diplomats in England. What they face as a consequence of the assassination of Indira Gandhi, culminating in the bomb blast of Rajiv Gandhi's, is an ingenious portrayal of one of the least-exposed professions. It might not be an easy read for non-Indians, given the implicit implications of the two deaths and the conversation with the thickly accented Mrs. Zulu, and could prove to be a yawn. The courter is probably the sweetest Rushdie can get with his stories, and notwithstanding, his sweeter side is sweet enough. The love story between the sixty-year old ayah Certainly-Mary and her porter-cum-courter Mixed-up, as seen through the eyes of a teenaged rich-kid, is truly touching. This story holds the honour of being the lengthiest, earthliest and gentlest of all.
Related blahs: Just picked up...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Short stories. I could never get them. I am always left with a feeling akin to ‘I did not get it’. The deeper meaning eludes me. Maybe there isn’t any, but somehow I feel like I should be searching for one. The only short stories collection I enjoyed reading was Twelve red herrings-Jeffery Archer, I think. That said I have picked up Rohinton Mistry’s Swimming lessons. Not going too well so far. Instead I finished reading Sashi Tharoor’s Riot . I did not expect that it would grip me enough that I would finish reading it in a stretch as I did. I had read only his Nehru-the invention of India, which was a good read, though I did think he was a show-off with his language. So Riot was a pleasant surprise.
(I just realized I haven’t actually commented on your article, but gone off on a tangent. Posting the comment nevertheless. :))

bl@her said...

Interesting, I am in the middle of reading Riot itself... I think we follow a nice reading pattern, maybe we should consider group reading/reviewing ;]

Anirudh said...

NIce Info!

Anonymous said...

The thought did occur to me as well :)

Swetank Gupta said...

Hi! Been to your blog quite a few times but the first time I'm leaving a comment. I really like your reviews. To say the least, they are sensible :)

And you are right about getting caught in a cycle of reading the more popular/famus books. I've been trying to get my hands on God of Small Things for a long time. Will give it a try for sure :)

East, West. I've read all the east stories. I thought Prophet's Hair was kind of interesting, in the sense that the mockery he made of irrational religious beliefs and practices does strike a chord somewhere. I especially remember the sentence where he says that the relic was authenticated by a group of priests from the mosque. HOw would they know for sure that it is the Prophet's Hair and not somebody else's :D

Okay, I've been going on for too long. You've got a wonderful blog and I'll come back every sngle day for updates. Also, it'll form a good reference place for what to pick up to read :)

bl@her said...

Anirudh: thanks, keep visiting...

Bhavana: I felt like re-reading The namesake, since it has been two years and I hardly remember the plot. so that would the next on list.

Swetank: very flattering, it is always encouraging to see long comments, in fact wouldn't mind longer ones ;] I agree Prophet's hair was very keenly written, probably the closest Rushdie can get to Asimov in terms of imagination; just that I found it too wild...

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Synptons of baby allergies Xanax shelf life Roue et roulette Used renault parts Massachusetts state lottery daily number thursday 11305 strippoker downlaod kostenlos Bob tyler toyota

Anonymous said...

good job anu!
http://dhivyarajashruthi.art.officelive.com

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cusoqisy.freewebsitehosting.com/pejaly.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

best mystery books said...

Nice website. I love the reviews!